2.17.2010

Questions and Answers: Made me question myself

I.Am.Thinking.

I'm thinking a lot about faith, Christ, my own relationship with Him, your relationship with Him, the World's relationship with Him. I allowed myself to be the "go-to guy" this evening. I told my middle school kids, to ask questions, any questions they had about God, Jesus, Faith, Christianity, or the bible. I told them I couldn't promise to have all the answers, nor was I certain I would even understand the questions, but I would do my best, and I would find them answers. At first I didn't expect much, I really didn't. I didn't expect a response at all to be honest. So I waited, I told the three that were present that they must each ask one question. Yeah, I'm a bit of a question jerk ha. In all seriousness though, I realize how important it is to ask questions. I realize how important it is for us to ask our peers, our elders, our mentor, our parents, and our loved ones about the things we don't understand. So I sat, and I waited, and I waited, and I waited....

Then. It. Happened.

Then it happened, one kid raised his hand and started off with a pretty general question, one we've all asked before "Why do such bad things happen if God loves everyone?" I cited my favorite verses for such a situation, James 1:2-4 and Psalm 66:10-12, I explained that we go through struggles so that one day we may enter the gates of Heaven, free of sin and complete, not lacking anything. Pretty easy question, I've asked and been asked 1000 times before. I sat there yearning for harder questions, challenging questions, things that I could spend lengths of time explaining, even things I didn't know the answer too. Slowly but surely God started to work, especially through this one kid. They started asking question about God banishing Lucifer from Heaven, why there are different religions, why some people go to hell, why they killed Jesus on the cross. I was enthralled with their questions, I was moved by their curiosity, and I was torn down by realizing my own curiosity had faltered in the last few months.

I. Began. To. Ask.

I began to ask my own questions:
1. Why are you calling me to Youth Ministry?
2. Why am I going to Jamaica?
3. What are your plans for my future.
4. Why do You forgive so easily?
5. Who am I?
6. Who are You?

and so many more questions flooded my heart. It was overwhelming, I just sat there for a moment ,and I've been sitting here ever since trying to find the nerve to write this. Trying to figure out the meaning of it all. And then it hit me, a few weeks ago I came across a verse at 3 am. I text it to my girlfriend and a close friend, no idea why, just felt called. Wasn't able to figure out the meaning in my own life either. Until.Now. Ecclesiastes 3:11 "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end" It answers a lot of the questions I have. I'm not going to fathom what God has done, that's the beauty of it, I don't have too. I just have to recognize that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, from my house fire, to break ups, to weddings, to finding that one person that understands you, to losing grandparents, to finding Grace... it's all beautiful in it's time, because it's something that God has given me, it's an obstacle or a blessing, intended for me, and intended to help me grow.

I.Challenge.You.

Sit down this week, call your wife, best friend, mom, dad, sister, dog, whatever into the room or on the phone, and talk to them about Christ. Ask them questions, answer their questions, and if the answer is unknown, research it together. Find the answers, because the answers will help us to better understand Salvation. We have to unite as brothers and sisters in Christ. We have to ask and answer each others questions. Find that person that fills your heart with joy, find that person that you've been praying for, and let them know you are there to answer their questions. Provide an outlet. Be a light to others. Love Christ, Love Christians, Love Character.

Grace and Peace

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful piece, Brad. Recently, in the last couple of years, I have begun to ask these same questions. At one point, I was lost because my personal relationship with Jesus Christ was lacking. However, with the help of close friends and family, this relationship is now constantly growing. Despite facing hardships in my own life, I have been able to find His grace in every situation. Realizing that I still have a long way to go in putting aside my own selfish desires to truly live for Him, I hope that, in the future, I can shed the same light that you share through your own experiences. I look forward to rekindling many relationships with a new sense of His eternal Love shining through my actions. Continuing sharing Brad. God bless you with these very unique talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed by your thoughts. I'm not amazed at your heart though, I see so many of your loved ones in you. Your strength, humor, creativity and your bountiful love of Christ and life are a combination of the people that have been so important to you. They have helped to form the man you are. You are a blessing and a joy. You make me smile and my heart explodes with the knowledge that God has let me be your mom.

    ReplyDelete