5.03.2011

With the change in seasons comes a new season...

We recently transition from winter into... spring (also known as melty winter), and soon we will transition into Summer. Just as many of us will transition from one season of our lives to the next. For me this comes in the form of graduation. Weird. I was sitting here just now working (or attempting too) on some of my final exam/project work and realized that in just 24 hours my life as a college student comes to an end. 1 day. 24 hours. 1,440 minutes. 86,400 seconds. What a mix of emotions this brings to my core. Earlier today I was on the phone with one of my oldest, and best friends Gabe. We were discussing life, the changes that are about to be made, the path that God is laying out before us, and the plans that He has yet to revealed. We talked about our excitement for the next stage of our lives. Gabe as received and accepted a job offer, and on June 11th he will be marrying the girl of his dreams, and the girl that I know God created just for him. I couldn't be more excited. As for me, all I know is that I am going to Africa, our paths are very different, but then again they always have been. Since we were little kids Gabe and I have been extremely different. Yet, for almost all of the last 18 or so years we have remained great friends. Just like many guys we have had our fair share of issues, but that conversation tonight just made me realize how much we have experienced together. Gabe and I's friendship has been a huge part of my college experience, granted we lived far away from each other, and sure we didn't see each other often, but we went through a lot together. Gabe was my support through a terrible breakup, through uncertainty and darkness in my walk with Christ, and a constant reminder that I can accomplish all things through Christ who strengthens me. We've been through so many things together, that I can't believe either one of us has survived this crazy journey... the point of this part of this post is to let Gabe know that I am proud of his accomplishments, I am blessed to have him as a brother, and I am greatly looking forward to what God has in store for both of us... After that conversation came the thought that I described earlier, and with it came sadness and frustration. I don't know what life holds, I have no answers, and I have nothing figured out... except for this... I know that God is my rock, my Savior, my deliverer and my redeemer. I know that because of my faith in God I will always know love and I will have infinite opportunities to experience grace. Does this mean that I'm not going to face trials and tribulations? Of course not! Can anyone guess what verse is coming next??? That's right, James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds. For the testing of your faith develops perseverance, perseverance must finish it's work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." I am excited to struggle, to face trials, and to walk blindly into uncertainity. And yes, I am terrified. I am utterly scared. And I know that is okay, because I know that while I am uncertain, God has a plan for me. A plan so great that I can't even begin to wrap my head around what it entails... I am so thankful for everything I have experienced in college. I have been angry about things, hurt, devastated, and immature... yet proud, accomplished, patient, and gracious in other situations. I look back on this college experience and realize that there are probably some things I would change... Some wrongs I would right, some fights I would allow myself to lose, some fights I would push harder to win, some people I would fight harder for, and some people I would probably allow to walk out of my life. Yet, when I think about changing those things, I am glad I can't. They have shaped me into exactly the person that I am, and for that I am thankful. I have struggled for years with self-image... yet sitting here tonight, I am confident in who I am, in how I look, in what God created me for. I know that there are lifestyle changes I am going to make upon graduation, and I know that they will improve my quality of life... I want to live in a new way for Christ. I want to provide a new outlet for God to use me to glorify Him. I want to be new, but not lose sight of the old... I want to learn compassionate sacrifice (but that is a whole different post, look for it this week) I want to thank my family especially. I want to thank you for enriching my life in whatever way you did. I want to thank my parents for instilling the values in me that made this possible, and of course for providing the financial, emotional, and spiritually support that I needed to accomplish my dreams of graduating college. I want to thank my grandparents.. on both sides. Nonny and Poppy you have provided memories, financial support, constant love, and many wise and insightful conversations that have helped me to become who I am. Grandma and Grandpa, even though you weren't here to see this. I can always feel your presence, and I know that there are times when you are smiling down upon me, and times where I have let you down. Knowing that you are watching from above has helped me to stay on the path that God laid before me, because you have always taught me that faith and family come first and foremost. To my sister: You are an inspiration, and during your hard time I worry not... because I know that you are an amazing person and you have such a gift for what you do. I love you, and I am proud that my older sister has accomplished what you have accomplished... I can't thank everyone... there is absolutely no way. I will lay out this blanket statement for all of you though, I want to thank everyone for.. the late nights, the early mornings, the all night study sessions, the baseball games, the basketball games, the classes that we shared, the classes that we skipped, the love and the heartbreak, the hugs and the punches, the trivia nights, and the movie marathons, the cold beers, and the warm coffee... thank you for everything you have shared with me to make this experience so wonderful. So to college I say goodbye, and to life I say bring it on. My God and I will take everything you throw at me in stride, and I know that I can accomplish anything, I just have no idea what any of that will be... Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment