8.30.2012

The Power of Prayer

Since I've been thinking so much about relationship lately-- let's turn the conversation now to prayer. Prayer is also a big part of relationship, praying for each other, with each other, and over each other. It's also one of the key factors in our relationship with Christ... it's how we communicate with him on a daily basis. I know I've mentioned Carlos Whittaker before, but yesterday he put up this post about prayer. Basically, he asked what people needed prayer for and committed to praying for them this morning. Wow. What an awesome commitment to being relational with people. The last time I check there were 127 comments asking for prayer, I started to write each and every name down-- along with a general summation of what their prayer request was for. It took a long time, but I finally got to the end of the comments, I also realized half way through that because of the popularity of his blog, the list was only going to grow-- and I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with writing them down while I am at work... so I'm going to fold that piece of paper and carry it in my shirt pocket the rest of the day, any free moment I get I will spend in prayer for that paper...

The requests were emotional, heart-wrenching, and broad. Ranging from job needs, to health, to comfort, relief, peace, wisdom, clarity, guidance, sanity, etc. Some of them moved me beyond belief, to hear what these people were struggling with, and how vulnerable they are. It made me think about what Los was provided for these people. Not only was he giving them an opportunity to let it all hang out, but he was giving them some hope by praying for them and letting them know that someone out there cares. So I spent a few moments looking into some verses on prayer-- this is definitely NOT an all encompassing list, but just some that stood out to me...

"I give thank to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus" 1 Corinthians 1:4

"Pray without ceasing" 1 Thessalonians 5:17

"But Let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind" James 1:6

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

I wrote the above portion of this post this morning, since then God has been moving in my heart in big ways. Not only have I been praying for my list of people, which has substantially grown as the day has progressed, but I have also been engaged in some cool conversations with people close to me. One of those conversations came while I was writing this post this morning. A friend of mine, who is more of a brother for sure, and I were talking about our evenings. After I left his house last night, and he finally headed into bed... he said he had felt urgent in his prayers lately and he was tired of feeling "like a freakin weeble in life". So as he was praying, God laid Psalm 20 on his heart. To his knowledge he had never even read Psalm 20 (you can read it here) . The very first verse in that passage says this "May the LORD answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you." Psalm 20:1.... Wow, what a cool answer to my brother's prayers. Here he was praying with urgency and (in his own words) "it was like God was sitting right there saying... "dude, you worry too much... I got this". Not only was it a cool story and testament of God's power, but that feeling of peace and humility was passed on to me through my brother. Here I was thinking about prayer, how much I need to pray, how important prayer is and yet all the while wondering why I don't pray and realizing it's because there are days when I doubt the power of prayer. Then God slaps me in the head and says... "I answer prayers. Sometimes immediately, sometimes in ways you won't like... but I answer".

I was so convicted in that moment. It made me realize how powerful prayer is, and it reminded me of how powerful my God is. He can do anything, and He hears my cries in the night, and my praises in the mornings. He knows every thought that goes through my head... but I also have to approach Him, carry on conversations with Him, and praise/pray to Him about what's going on. Because even though He already knows all those things, He wants to have a relationship with me. He wants me to carry on a relationship with Him, and He wants me to confide in, run to, and cling to Him throughout all circumstances. God is so good.

Take a few moments and pray, if you would like... you can add the people from my list below to your prayer list:




Grace and Peace




4 comments:

  1. Very insightful Brad, as always. And relevant to my week. I was praying over something a lot this week and last and thought I had a direction, but then the tides turned. Which was His way and which wasn't? I'm not sure yet. But, it is comforting to read
    Philippians 4:6-7. What I love about it is that it doesn't say IF you do the right thing, IF you never make a mistake in interpreting My will or hearing Me, then I will give you peace of God which will guard your heart and mind. It's unconditional! So hard to comprehend as it is so unlike the human spirit. He will give us peace of heart and mind just for laying our requests down to Him. As a type A control freak who finds it difficult to let anything out of her control, I find this so, so difficult to grasp, yet I BELIEVE 100% that this is the case. Thanks for bringing me the gift of this verse tonight. I have plenty to pray for tonight and one woman in particular who is losing her husband to a terminal illness. I will keep this verse in mind while praying. Keep up the great posts! They are very uplifting. ~Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Brooke. It's been something that's been on my heart for quite some time. Prayer is so powerful, and I've seen it time and time again yet I still struggle with it. I have often seen two paths and had no idea which one was His way and which one wasn't, and I always second guess my choice. However, I learned a very important lesson from my Pops a few years ago that really cleared that up. He told me that our path will sometimes look like two forks (he displayed this at dinner) laying fork to fork. There's a start and an end, and four different ways to bridge the gap. We have free will to choose which way we go, but God has prepared the way no matter what we choose. Granted each path will have different outcomes, but He goes ahead of us in everything we do to prepare the way. We also have to trust that He has prepared us to make good decisions. God's hand is in everything, and He knows every decision we are going to make before we do. Regardless of what direction you go, God's loving hands will be guiding you.

      God's love is unending and that is something it took me years to figure out. I'm glad that verse was able to provide you with some comfort last night. I will be praying for your friends!

      -B

      Delete
  2. Interesting the timing of your post. A few minutes ago I was looking for the Stormie Omartian books that I have on prayer. I believe this is no coincidence. The Lord has been leading me very specifically in directions that he wants me to be fortified in for discipleship. I'm believe I'm being pulled into prayer. Thank you brother for following the Holy Spirit, writing this post, and asking me to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ant-

      I appreciate you taking the time to read through this. I have felt that The Lord calling me in a very specific way the last few weeks to start radically changing the way I approach matters of faith. I'm glad He is leading you in a specific direction, and even more so that you are following with a willing heart. THANK YOU for being a role model to me and many others.

      -B

      Delete