11.16.2012

3 years in review..

It's been 17 days since I wrote my last post... and there's a reason for that.

The last 17 days I have spent reflecting on the last 3 years ago... because 3 years ago was an important day for me. On November 16th, 2009 I sat down at my computer and began typing, in very much the same way I am typing now. However, 3 years ago, I had no idea what I was going to write about. I just knew that God was moving, and I needed a place to write all of that down, so I could sort through it and hang on to it as well. The first post I ever wrote, was titled Passion and Purpose. That post was all about distinguishing between what you are passionate about and what your purpose is... and it's about the uncertaintiy of my future. Take a second (if you didn't read the whole thing) to look at this excerpt from that very first post...

"I felt that I knew what God was calling me to do, and that was the end of the story. Once again though, God has more to say, I just had to listen... I realize now that, no matter what, my studies matter... Not because I'm not going to become a missionary, or not because I'm going to work in a bank, but because I. Don't. Know. The. Answers. I have no idea if I'll become a CEO of a Fortune 500 Company, or if I'm going to work as a bank teller, or grocery store manager, or be a stay at home parent. Only. He. Knows. And tonight it was God telling me that, just as it says in Colossians 3:17 "And whatever ever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him".. I don't know what I'll be doing in 10 years, 5 years, 1 year, or 1 month.. I don't even know where I'll be this summer, but tonight I realized, it doesn't matter. I will go where I'm called, and do whatever it is God wants me to do, if merely to glorify Him.
My. Future. Is. Only. Known. By. Him."

Well, it's now 3 years later... and where I thought I'd be then, is not where I am now. I am thankful for that. God knew the plan all along, He led me back to the city that I grew up in, a place where I know more people than I care to some days, even though He knew my desire was to be elsewhere. God knew what He was doing, and it took me a few months after college to realize that. It's crazy to see the way God has completely transformed this blog, my relationships, my life, and my character since this journey began. I've been through heart ache, love, loss, pain, overwhelming joy, the birth of my niece and nephew, and many other things. In the last three years I have been in 16 different states, and 4 different countries. I have been involved in two very different Youth Ministries, I have worked in a restaurant, a green house, a bank, and now my current position, a global company. I graduated from college with a Bachelors degree, I have been in 3 weddings, and seen at least 16 friends get married. I got my own place, bought a new car, mended past friendships, and watch others fall to the wayside. I've laughed so hard I couldn't breath, and I've cried so long I had no tears left. However, through all the craziness, all the changes, all the distractions, all the "once-in-a-lifetime" moments... one thing has always remained constant.

Jesus.

Christ has been present through all of it. He has guided, provided and protected me through a crazy 3 years. I have been able to grow in Christ in ways that 3 years ago, I thought would never happen. He has completely transformed my life... and while that in no way means that I am no longer a sinner, it means that I am not defined by my sins, but rather my salvation. I am a prince in the Kingdom of God, I am a beloved child of God, and I am striving each day to be a man after God's own heart. If I had to pick one lesson, out of millions, that God has taught me in the last 3 years it would be: That I must put others before myself, but in that I also cannot lose sight of my own morals, values, or goals. I must love myself... even when I don't feel like I'm worthy of love. Christ died on the cross so that I could be set free from my sin, by accepting that truth into my heart, and living a life that is glorifying to Him. I don't succeed at that everday, but I'm getting better each and every step. Which makes me wonder... what will this look like on November 16, 2015...

Thank you.


Thank you to everyone that has been a part of this blog over the last 3 years. This morning I looked at the numbers... that very first post received 8 views on this site. 3/8 views were probably from my Mom. Granted I used to post these as "Facebook Notes" as well... but still. To see that I have gone from 8 views to an average of 35 views per post. That just absolutely blows my mind... Thank you for your support, for reading this blog, for the feedback: encouragement and criticism. Thank you for being a part of this journey... here's to the next 3, 5, even 10 years down the road. Today is a special day for this blogger-- and all the glory goes to God for giving me the words to write.

Grace and Peace



No comments:

Post a Comment