5.21.2013

Conversation, Conviction, and Correction

I'm too busy.

Today has been too stressful.

I don't have the time to think about that.

Those are the lies I catch myself in on a daily basis. Those are the thoughts that literally consume me at work. It's in the midst of those moments, those busy days, those crazy weeks, that God grabs me by the shoulders and says "Stop making excuses, and rest in my grace and mercy". It never fails that just when I think I don't have enough time, or the energy, that's when God sparks conversations that lead to conviction, that leads to the correction.

Today, was one of those days. Today God showed his love for me through a text from my best friend. A text telling me to look for God's faithfulness in the stress, and to be thanking Him for what I have been given. Most of all, reminding me to trust in the plans God has for me, no matter if I understand the circumstances or not. That's a reminder I needed in the worst way. It should come as no surprise to anyone that I don't handle stress well. I've always put a lot of pressure on myself, mainly to try and meet everyone else's needs and to please others. That pressure constantly drowns me, it's the enemy's way of stealing my joy. Thankfully, I have a best friend that loves me enough to speak truth into my life, and for that I am incredibly grateful.

It doesn't end there.

God continues to work, He doesn't just give me enough to relieve the stress, He overflows my cup. He fills me with enough Truth, Love, and conviction that I all I can do is be in awe at how much He loves me. He creates conversation after conversation that help me to grow and walk a little straighter. A second conversation, with a brother who is dear to my heart, provided some insight into the daily struggle of ministry (both occupational and non). We talk about life, ministry, evangelism, Kingdom growth, and accountability. It's because of this brother that some of my struggles are made a little more real, and he helps me to see when my actions are causing others to stumble. I am thankful for that conviction and that accountability. Of course, just when I think it's time to go home and rest, to escape everything that's going on... I flip open my Bible and God uses His Word to sum up the lesson of the day in it's entirety...

"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it" Mark 8:34-35.

I need to remind myself of this each and every morning. I need to walk away from my sin, my struggle and walk to my God, who through all of that crap, is still sovereign. I am thankful for conversations, and conviction that leads to correction. Here's to being a better man tomorrow, the day after that, and the day after that, etc, etc.

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment