11.06.2011

Jumping stream from fanatic to follower...

2 Timothy 2:22- "Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart"

I have always talked about being a person with a missional mindset. I have given messages, written blogs, tweeted, updated my facebook, and talked until I am blue in the face about missions work. I have lived it, I've loved it, I long ago decided it was something I am passionate about. This week though, a book I've been reading really got me thinking... Do it I do it for the glory of Christ? Is it all for the Kingdom, or is it for my ticket INTO the Kingdom?

Not.A.Fan.

I have been reading Not a fan by Kyle Idleman... for those of you that haven't picked up a copy do it now... When I was perusing the Lifeways Recommends section of the bookstore the other day, I came across this book, looked at it for a few minutes and then sat it down. A friend of mine told me he had read it, there were some good points but he thought I probably wouldn't learn a lot from it because I was already past what it talks about, I wasn't a fan I was already a follower. Ironic how those conversations lead you to want to buy the book even more. So I spent the ten dollars and took it home. After I started reading it, I realized that it was the perfect book for me. The fact that I was so intrigued by the book but someone else told me I didn't need to read it should have made one of those little cartoon lightbulbs go off above my head. As I've been reading I came to the conclusion that I have been a fan of Christ at different points in my life instead of a follower. I hadn't let God interfere with many areas of my life that I truly needed Him too. That's apparently why God put it on my heart to make it the first of many unread books that I own, to read.

Following.Faithfully.

I want to follow Christ with such a desire and passion in my heart that I don't even have to ask questions like the one posted above (Do I do it for the glory of Christ). I want to wake up each morning knowing that I am getting out of bed with a heart prepared to do the Lord's work in any situation I face that day. Does this mean that I am delusional and can't recognize that I will inevitably fail? Not at all... I know I will fail and fall short each and every day. That's what is so beautiful about my relationship with Christ though... it doesn't matter. What matters is that I wake up ready to serve Him, ready to further His Kingdom in every way possible. He knows I'm going to fall short, but He also knows my heart and my intentions. He sees inside of me what others miss sometimes, which is not only pain and regret, but desire and yearning. Things that I often don't see in myself. So regardless of my employment status, my lack of a need for an alarm in the morning, or a bedtime, I am going to start living better. I am going to follow Christ, instead of cheering Him on as I would an athlete, musician, comedian, or friend.

The.Time.Is.Now.

I am no longer going to waste my days feeling complacent over the issues that I face. I am so caught up in the first world "problems" that I am facing that I forget about the hardwork, determination, and passion that I was taught by the people I met in Ethiopia. I need to start utilizing my days to work harder on my book, my job hunt, caring for those in need, letting people know that I am thinking of them, praying for those people, communing with other followers, and reaching out to the lost. I want to start a revolution in my city. I want to show people how to love like Jesus loved, but first I have to allow myself to feel His love every minute of every day. I need to love Him the way He has loved me. I am ready. The Time is Now.

Love.Is.The.Answer.

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment