12.19.2011

Before They Were Champions (revised)

It's never been so hard for me to sit down and write what is on my heart... probably because the things on my heart aren't usually this vast or hard to deal with. This is easily going to be the most emotional post I've written those far on As Days Go By... if it doesn't flow like usual, I apologize in advance...





I have spent a collective 19 years living in Hope, Indiana. There was a time when I wanted nothing more than to leave. I was in high school, it was a small town, everyone knew everyone, and I was ready to be on my own. Until December 19th, 2005. That's the day my world came crashing down around me, and had it not been for this small town, I don't know where I would be today. My family lost our home, our belongings, our pets, everything. It was hard to fathom. I stood there at one point listening to someone scream as we watched the fire engulf our home... then I realized the person screaming was ME. It's been six years since we lost our home, and the 19th this year, was just as hard, if not harder than all the others. This post has been many years coming, but it never quite sounded right. It does tonight though. My angst started right around midnight. I was having trouble sleeping, and looked at my phone right as the date changed. It was all down hill from there. Lucky for me, God has blessed me with some amazing friends, one in particular that stepped up last night when I needed her most. I slept about 4 hours last night, the rest of the night was spent tossing and turning, weeping, lashing out in anger, and reminiscing. That pretty much sums up my entire day, except for the fact that I was at work. Once again, I am very lucky to have the friends that I have at my job, they made today a lot easier. After work though, I went to 431 Union Street. It's been a long time since I have stopped there, and as I turned onto the dimly lit street, for a split second I could see our old house. Like a ghost it stood there, in all it's former glory, only to vanish when I blinked. Someone asked me today why I still go there every year. While I was standing there in the cold and the rain, it hit me. It's so that I can be reminded of what matters in life. You see, now that I am in the "real world", the reality of what today means is even clearer. It's not just the cliche "don't take things for granted" or "we are only promised today", but more than that. It's a reminder that it's not about me, or my plans, or my wants. It's about God's plan. Somehow, this was part of the plan (and a pretty bad part if you ask me, it's like the scene in the movie you would love to face forward through, you just can't find the remote). God has shown me a lot of things about that day in the last 6 years, most importantly, He has shown me the value of friendship and community.

I still can't believe the way people took care of us when we lost everything. People gave us clothing, places to stay, food, money, hugs, and most importantly prayers. There were people who probably had barely enough money for Christmas gifts for their own families, that replaced many of ours. People I didn't know offered money, and condolences. There are so many important people I would love to thank for what they did, but that would take a lifetime. One group of people has always stuck out in my mind when I think about that time in my life...

Before they were husbands, fathers, college graduates, teachers, coaches, adventure-seekers, insurance salesmen, businessmen, and athletic trainers, there were a special group of guys that were all part of a State Championship. Some were players, others fans in the crowd. That day was a special day though, because it was in that moment, that I saw Christ bless some very important people in my life, by helping them to achieve their dream.

A little more than 6 years ago I wrote an article that made the local newspaper. It was entitled "Before they were champions.." Take a look:

Hauser High School's boys' basketball team brought home their first state title this year, bringing a terrific season to a perfect end. Team and fans alike celebrated their happiness together. However, Hauser's team isn't one that is only there for the good times. Before they were champions, they were just a group of great guys, and true friends. On December 19th my family lost our house to a fire. We were able to salvage very little. Four days later, we were there ready to sift through the ruins and rubble and find what could be salvaged. As I got out of my car at the site of my former home, I heard more cars pull in behind me. They were members of Hauser's varsity basketball team. Not only are they state champions, but they are true good-hearted friends. Each one of them left practice, and drove straight to 431 Union Street. Gabe Miller, Blake Roth, Zach Fugate, Bobby Jolliff, Bryce Mize, Justin Baute, Brandon Barker, Nate Long, Seth Baute, Bryan Bailey, and Ben Gearhart approached me with arms wide open and smiles on their faces. At that moment I felt the true meaning of living in a small community. Eleven young men, current and former Hauser basketball players, clad in old clothes and heavy gloves, ready to help me and my sister sift through our childhood. As we sorted through the remains, I was able to laugh and cry with the best friends a kid could ask for. Eleven kids willing to give up a day of Christmas break, to help a family in need. I stopped after about an hour of working and looked around at these 11 guys. Replaying the memories I had with each and every one of them in my house. Late nights playing video games, and all day football games in the yard, it was all very emotional for me. They were my support system, and I saw it as my duty to return the favor. I spent my Saturday supporting Gabe Miller, Blake Roth, Zach Fugate, Bobby Jolliff, Bryce Mize, Justin Baute, and Brandon Barker in their time of need, by sitting in the front row of the cheer block, cheering them on in their quest to be "Living the Dream". The others, Nate Long, Seth Baute, Bryan Bailey, and Ben Gearhart joined me in the sea of black at Conseco Fieldhouse. At the end of the game, with all the excitement buzzing, I stopped and took a moment to thank the Lord. I thanked Him for giving back to the friends that had helped me through a very hard time. The memory I have of watching my best friends win a state championship is enough to fill the void of all the things I lost in the burning of my house. It's an amazing feeling to watch the people who you've spent your entire life with, accomplish something that seemed so impossible, for so long. Congratulations to the 2006 Indiana Class 1A Boy's Basketball State Champs, and thank you for all you have done for me and my family.

I am so thankful to this day for those boys, now men. They are still some of my best friends, I have seen 3 of them get married, two others are married with kids, 9 have graduated college, 1 has trained sled dogs in Alaska. These guys have all gone on to do incredible things with their lives. They have continued to be a huge part of my life, and they will never fully comprehend what they mean to me. The other thing is, I can remember so many other people that weren't mentioned in that article because they weren't there that particular day, that should have been added to the list. My dear friend,Nick Long, wasn't able to be there that day, but I remember he came to me later and apologized for being sick. He wanted to be there but needed to rest. Just the fact that he thought there was a reason to apologize meant the world to me.Bryan Fields spent hours searching for my grandfather's 1950 Purdue class ring (pictured below) one of the few things I have left of my Grandfather, and found it amongst all the rubble. The cheerleaders, our neighbors, our friends, our family, the teachers, my soccer team, the coaches, administrators, and coworkers of my parents went above and beyond what anyone could have asked them to do.

Now 6 years later I still have my memories, along with new ones with those old friends. Today was hard, going back to 431 Union Street was emotional, but at least I was able to be surrounded by the people I love, and the people that love me. Always Remember, and Never Forget... 431 Union Street.




Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment