4.23.2012

The World We Live In






I often find myself amused by "Christian" phrases. Now, if some of you have read Jon Acuff's blog Stuff Christians Like... don't stop reading because you think I'm jacking his ideas. This is a legitimate concern. So many times we, as Christians, talk about "the ways of the World" and being "in the world, but not of the world". Now, don't get me wrong... I'm not mocking these things, nor am I arguing their existance or validity. However, in the last 8 days I have realized something about the truth concerning The World.

A week ago I wrote about an amazing experience I had with Christ while away from the world on The Walk to Emmaus. I had a mountain top, retreat high from all of the great things I heard and experienced. Since I returned, it has taken absolutely no time at all for me to sink back into the ways of The World. I never really thought about how worldly my life really is, or how down-trodden I have allowed myself to become based on what the World thinks of me. I'll be really transparent right now and say that while I was on my retreat I used one curse word the entire 3 days, I didn't even curse in my head. Unfortunately, that has changed again since I have returned to the World. Now, it's something that I am working on and I don't just cuss to because I think it sounds cool, it's a bad habit. The sad thing is that's not the only change I've noticed...

I made some great strides in my prayer life, the time I was spending in the Word, and my relationships with other Christian men, those things have all greatly suffered since returning. Last week was once again a blur at work, today was frustrating... and yet despite everything that goes on I know that one thing remains and that is Christ's presence in my daily life. So if that's true, why do I ignore it so often?? Why do we, all of us, allow the World to push Christ out of the foreground and into the background. Why do we allow ourselves to take, take, take both of the World and Christ.. and yet the only one giving anything worthwhile is Christ. The World can not supply a joy that has longevity. The thing that bothers me most, is it affects my ability to minister to those I encounter on a daily basis. For example, I get to work around 7:30 every day. I love the stillness and calm of our office before everyone is there. This morning I was reading over my VOD while sitting at my desk and I heard a sneeze come from across the office. I had no idea who was there, couldn't see them outside my cubicle, and I wanted to say "God bless you" but I stopped myself. The World stopped me, because the World has convinced me that I have to be incredibly sensitive to others beliefs, even going as far as ignoring my own. I'm not saying that tolerance.. no no, acceptance is not a vital part of community. But to what extent do we go to be careful not to offend others. While I played all of this out in my head during about a 6 second span, God answered by giving me yet another opportunity, my coworker sneezed again, and again I remained quiet. If that wasn't enough, he sneezed a third time and then another coworker sneezed as well. Now, disregarding the health concern with all this sneezing going on, I just couldn't bring myself to say "God bless you" because I live of this World...

Maybe that seems extremely menial to you, but one of the things I have heard a lot lately is that we may be the only Bible someone ever gets a chance to read. I, me, Brad Robertson could be the only way that coworker, waitress, cashier, customer, fellow shopper, driver, or person on the elevator would have the chance to experience Christ that day. And I just completely blew it, I saw the opportunity, and I watched it blow away like a plastic bag in the wind (name that movie reference). I am actually disappointed in myself for my inability to be a disciple in that way. I realized I talk/complain about wanting to work in ministry, and God gave me a great opportunity to do ministry in a secular environment, and I couldn't no, I wouldn't do it. God answered my plea to be used in whatever way He deemed fit by calling me to be a light in my workplace, and I blew out my own flame... or did I? The great thing about being a follower, is that if we put our faith in Christ, our flame is everlasting. Now, that doesn't mean the World won't try to convince us to hide our flame, or that the World won't try to blow it out, but lucky for us Christ is greater than the World. Christ conquered death, something that no one that is "of the world" has ever done.

So let me ask you this... how are you living your daily life? Are you allowing the world to use you as it's punching bag, or are you standing your ground, dodging and blocking it's blows, and fighting back until you persevere? Have you really thought about how the World affects your daily life? What would people be saying about the World, if we really allowed Christ to hold the whole world in HIS hands, instead of trying to grasp it in our own? Marinate on that.


Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment