9.18.2012

Honesty with a side of realization

Here's a heavy dose of Honesty for you readers:

I'm a selfish pray-er (it took me a few seconds to realize how to write that). Honestly though, I really am selfish when it comes to my prayers. Often times I pray for help with something, for comfort with something, or for something that I desire but don't necessarily need. It pains me to say that, because I would love to say that my prayers are totally focused on others most of the time. Realizing how selfish my prayers are is a strong pill to swallow. It's like standing in your driveway shooting free throws for 3 hours and realizing you will never be Larry Bird. It's a little gut-wrenching. It makes me feel... cold. I don't want to feel cold when it comes to my prayer life. I want my prayer life to be on fire, I want to pray so passionately and so selflessly that it ignites a blaze in my community. Don't get me wrong-- please DO NOT misconstrue what I'm saying-- I definitely need prayer. I fail every day. However, I know and have a relationship with My Redeemer. I have been washed by the blood, and feel His grace and mercy daily. I encounter people every day that don't know Jesus, that don't have a relationship with Him at all. I know people that are struggling in bigger ways than me, that are being attacked by the enemy, that are clinging on by a thread. THOSE are the people I need to be praying for...

You might be wondering what prompted this confession... well, I've been thinking. I've been thinking a lot about prayer, the Power of Prayer, and what I should be doing in my prayer life. Not only do I need to continually be in communication with God for those that ask me to pray for them, I need to pray for those that don't ask. In a big way, that means I need to be praying for the people that work in my office. I have struggled greatly for the last few weeks with the corporate business world. I keep thinking that maybe I would be happier if I left "corporate America" and moved into full time ministry. Then I'm reminded that I have been called to an awesome ministry opportunity that I'm not taking advantage of. There are 200+ people that work in my office, probably 20-30 of them I interact with on a daily basis. I need to be in prayer for these people. I need to pray that they find a burning inside to know Jesus. That they ask questions and receive answers. That they start to realize the way to eternity is through a one-way ticket, Jesus. Now, that's not to say that there aren't other Christians in this office, or that my main focus needs to be "saving" my coworkers. I just believe that I need to be more intentional about lifting them up to God each and every day. That I need to step outside my PCZ (prayer comfort zone). I need to start praying for God to radically rock the office places of Columbus, IN because I know I'm not the only one that struggles with this...

There's a plan brewing in my mind. I want to start meeting with some brothers that work near downtown Columbus (to start). I want to organize a weekly prayer meeting, that will eventually evolve into a Small Group. Right now, I want it to be a group of brothers because I want us to be intentional and real about what we need help with and what we want to see change in our offices. I want to take one day out of the week to meet for breakfast and pray for the work place we spend 40+ hours of our week in. I want us to pray about how God is using us to bring light into our workplace, how we can be more relational and yet, not push people away from Christ. We need to just gather together and realize that prayer is the best way to ask and be asked. Keep your eyes peeled Men of Columbus... this idea WILL come to fruition. Be in prayer about your role in this, and prepare your hearts to get real with each other, because I'm looking for a strong, core, group of men that can be honest and real. Until then....

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment